[TYPO3] Back end goes blank

Bing Du bdu at iastate.edu
Thu Jun 7 20:44:13 CEST 2007

> Am Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:29:17 -0500 schrieb Bing Du:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Typo3 4.0.6
>>
>> The back end went blank again today.  Again, manually deleting the
>> temp_CACHED_* files in typo3conf/ brought it back.  I checked the
>> typo3conf/localconf.php file and noticed the last change was made on
>> 5/23/2007.  I've seen the problem twice in the past couple of years. Can
>> anybody shed some light on what might be going on?  How and why
>> temp_CACHED_* files prevent back end from showing up?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Bing
>

> Hi Bing,
>
> the temp_CACHED_* files include the extensions. You see a blank backend
> typically during updates, if dependencies between extensions are out of
> order. Files, functions or objects are requested by extensions but
> not have been loaded in the right order and the whole PHP processing
> breaks.
>
> That starts the circulus vitiosus. You can't delete the temp_CACHED_*
> files
> with the green clear cache buttons any more, because the button  itself
> doesn't show up because of the blank pate.
>
> The cause for missing dependencies seems to be a bug in the extension
> upload tool, wich often looses the dependences during upload for
> mysterious reasons I can't figure out.
>
> Until that has been fixed by the core team, you will probably see a blank
> backend now and then upon updates and you have to order the extension keys
> manually with an text editor.
>
> Not a solution for everybody. Yeah, that's why they proudly call TYPO3 an
> expert system ;-)
>

> Regards
>
> Elmar

Thanks much for your explanation, Elmar.  What you said makes sense.  We
ever run into blank screen due to extension installation.  But this time,
it didn't seem to be extension related.  There was no new extension
installed and no extension was updated either.  Other than usual content
editing,  Tool->Log doesn't show any system level operations over the past
several days.  Hm.

Bing