[TYPO3] different languages hosted on different servers

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jan 27 01:42:15 CET 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:57:51 CST, Chad Rislov wrote
with subject "Re: [TYPO3] different languages hosted on different servers":

> Thanks for the answers! I guess we will just have to start playing around with it and find out the best way to do it.
>
> I still think that everyone is missing the point of why we are wanting to do this. I know that it is much more logical to host everything on the same server. I understand that this is the normal way of doing things and I realize that it is the best solutions, but Google does not know this!
>
> If I am in Germany do a Google search, there is a button that says "sites from Germany only", If I am in the UK, there is a button that says "sites from UK only" and so on. If the website is located in the US with all the European languages and European domains, it is more than likely that your rankings will not be very good. If you have the local domain hosted in the local country, your site gets ranked much higher when the button "sites from XXXX only" is clicked.

what do you think google is doing to decide where a website is from?
do they trace the signal, from which cable the data is coming and wether
the cable comes from right or left of a mountain, river, or other border?

german sites are sites with a TLD .de
english sites are sites with TLD .uk
it doesn't depend on where the server is located, also there are tables
which say where an IP is located. but does you realy know?
and what about a proxy?
if you realy want your .de-domain from a server standing in germany: build
up a VPN and give google the german data from a german server. but this
server may fetch the sitecontent from an 'intranet'-server (VPN) in UK.

yes. I know: you can detect such VPNs (longer response-times), but you
couldn't know where the origin-server stands. you may get an information:
the signal comes from frankfurt but it is delayed so much it may took
further e.g. 200km - but in which direction? which location will you assign
this server? maybe the origin-server stands also in frankfurt but the
signal is transferred by satelite.

keep in mind: the first big servers stood in US and a lot of domains with
other TLD were hosted there. that were sites only for a 'local' customer.

> Does that explain why this is important to us?

don't try to cheat google.
Either your content is important. then it will be found whereever your
server stands.
Or you just pretend to be important. then google will punish you (somewhen
in future)

Berbd
--
http://www.bernd-wilke.net