[TYPO3] different languages hosted on different servers

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Jan 26 10:55:37 CET 2007

Chad Rislov wrote:
> I still think that everyone is missing the point of why we are
> wanting to do this. I know that it is much more logical to host
> everything on the same server. I understand that this is the normal
> way of doing things and I realize that it is the best solutions, but
> Google does not know this!
>
> If I am in Germany do a Google search, there is a button that says
> "sites from Germany only", If I am in the UK, there is a button that
> says "sites from UK only" and so on. If the website is located in the
> US with all the European languages and European domains, it is more
> than likely that your rankings will not be very good.

This does not agree with explanations from Google people. Try reading
archived blog entries from Matt Cutts (he is Google engineer, who is
allowed to speak for Google) about ranking. I remember that geography
does not affect ranking at all.

By the way, in my languages it does not say "pages from...", it says
"pages in ... language".

 > If you have the
> local domain hosted in the local country, your site gets ranked much
> higher when the button "sites from XXXX only" is clicked.

I afraid this is a myth :)

> Does that explain why this is important to us? Regards, Chad

If you host your sites on different servers, your original question: do
not have much sence. Of course you can host typo3-based sites anywhere
in the world.

By the way, having duplicate content on different sites (i.e.
mydomain.com/ch/home.html and mydomain.ch/home.html) you may become
mistakenly penalized by Google. It does not like when the same content
appears in different places. This is common search engine spam
technique. Again, see Matt Cutts's blog for information.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/
Skype: callto:liels_bugs