[TYPO3] multilanguage site with Templaviola and SEO

Cate & Peter catepeter at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 16 00:25:11 CET 2007

Hi Morten

>I believe that google ranks a .com domain better in English search
>engines than for instans a .dk domain (denmark)

>Am I wrong?

Yeah, I think you are Morten - I believe the only time it will make a
difference is when someone selects "search in England" or whatever ... and
even then, it may not.

The most crucial issues for Google and other search engines are
* Good technical design (full access to the text)
* Relevant <h1>, page title and description tag text (identifying the main
concepts of the page)
* Good quality content that includes the key phrases you are targeting

Then also taken into consideration are:

* How often content is added, and how much
* How many pages the site has altogether (Which means putting different info
on different domains may actually work against you - but I only say "may"...
I am not sure)
* How many outgoing links (ie, how much a part of the web you are)
* How many incoming links from quality sites (how highly regarded you are by
others - but probably not reciprocal links, these are anticipated to have a
zero weight)

As far as I am aware, the type of domain the information appears on is
irrelevant - for example, I often find information about typo3 on German
websites ranks higher than Australian ones.

So I think it is not so important to have separate domains for SEO purposes.
Of course, there can be business reasons to have separate domains - ease of
discovery, ease of customer anticipation etc.

HTH

Cate