[TYPO3] configuring the date in tt_news latest view

dave typo typothree at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 12:19:40 CET 2007

whats the typoscript to configure the date for the latest view in tt_news?

should I install a different language set, despite the fact that I'm
not going to use it, in order to configure a specific looking date?

For example, on the tt_news page, it says

# Setting up the language variable "L" to be passed along with links

config.linkVars = L

# German language, sys_language.uid = 2

[globalVar = GP:L = 2]
config.sys_language_uid = 2
config.language = de
config.locale_all = de_DE

# set german date & time formats

 displayLatest {
    date_stdWrap.strftime= %d.%m.%y
    time_stdWrap.strftime= %H:%M

except I'm afraid portions of my site will turn into another language.

Whats the best way to configure the date for my latest tt_news view?