[TYPO3] problems with utf8 after migration

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Jan 9 15:38:50 CET 2007

Rakowski Tomasz wrote:
> hello!
>
> recently I had to move my Typo3 instalation into a new location.
> Unfortunately there is a problem with polish characters. I am almost
> 100% sure it's because of some utf8 related issues. Unfortunately I do
> not know how to cope with that further, I have already lost many hours
> today, yesterday etc
>
> Here is my situation:
>
> My new system is FreeBSD 6.1
> PHP 4.4.3
> MySQL 5.0.27
> Typo3 3.8.0
>

> SQL settings are as follows:
>
> character_set_client  	utf8
> character_set_connection 	utf8
> character_set_database 	latin2
> character_set_filesystem 	binary
> character_set_results 	utf8
> character_set_server 	utf8
> character_set_system 	utf8
> collation_connection 	utf8_bin
> collation_database 	latin2_general_ci
> collation_server 	utf8_polish_ci
>

> Typo3 settings:
>
> config.renderCharset = utf-8
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['t3lib_cs_convMethod'] = 'mbstring';
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['t3lib_cs_utils'] = 'mbstring';
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['multiplyDBfieldSize'] = 1;
>
> I have also modified file t3lib/class.t3lib_db.php:
>
> in function sql_pconnect I added the following lines
>
>          @mysql_query('SET NAMES utf8',$this->link);
>          @mysql_query('SET CHARACTER SET utf8',$this->link);
>
> just before return.
>

> My old system is FreeBSD 6.2
> PHP 4.4.2
> MySQL 4.1.18
> Typo3 3.8.0
>
> SQL settings:
> character_set_client  	utf8
> character_set_connection 	utf8
> character_set_database 	latin2
> character_set_results 	utf8
> character_set_server 	latin2
> character_set_system 	utf8
> collation_connection 	utf8_polish_ci
> collation_database 	latin2_general_ci
> collation_server 	latin2_general_ci
>

> When I export database as gzip and import this into new database I see
> in the backend that all polish letters were replaced by ??.
> If I want to edit those entries and I put any polish character instead
> of those ?? I get Typo3 error:
>
> 102: These fields are not properly updated in database: (title) Probably
> value mismatch with fieldtype.
>
> Furthermore, if I go to frontend I receive message: No template found -
> and believe me there is a template... (maybe my template contains some
> polish characters and that's the reason - I dont know, still have to
> check it.)
>

> thx for your attention and hope someone will help me
>
> racco

racco,

On your and old installation,
is AddDefaultCharset  set to the same value?
it's set in your virtual host, or in httpd.conf.

On other weird problem I had recently is that on a dev
system we use the same username/password part for all typo3
installations. However when we set the mysql connection options
other installations could override. Setting it from pconnect to connect
solved that issue...

But in your case my best guess is the AddDefaultCharset setting.

Ries

--
Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer