[TYPO3] Install without symlinks

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:14:48 CET 2007

Hi,

On 2/15/07, Felipe Knaesel Koch <felipe at lcc.furb.br> wrote:
> Just for further reference,
>
> I couldn't find a way of making typo3 (4.1 RC1) work without symlinks. I
> have the source inside typo3_src inside the dummy package, but still
> wouldn't find some files and I couldn't reach typo3/install/. Guess it
> was a t3lib and typo3 symlinks issue.

The t3lib directory hasn't existed since version 4.0.

In any case, there is NO issue installing TYPO3 without symlinks since
new source packages do not include symlinks and the .zip source
packages have /never/ included symlinks.

Your cms or public_html directory simply needs these files:

typo3
t3lib
index.php

(Plus fileadmin, uploads etc, but the install tool will prompt you to
create these if they do not exist already.)

You can copy these right out of the package into the directory you
want to use as the root of the website, and then as long as you can
reach the directory you put them in, you should be able to reach
{directory}/typo3/

> Anyway, I think my solution is a big solver. Although there must be
> hosting providers that block shell exec...

It's quite a good idea...makes me think of writing a little tool that
downloads, unzips and sets up the basic configuration of TYPO3...

You're also right that there /are/ hosts the block shell_exec(), but
you can't use ImageMagick with them, so they won't be a good fit with
TYPO3 in any case.

--
Christopher Torgalson