[TYPO3] Install without symlinks

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 18:21:51 CET 2007

Hi,

On 2/15/07, Felipe Knaesel Koch <felipe at lcc.furb.br> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've searched inside this and install newsgroups and couldn't find an
> answer.
>
> I'm trying to install typo3 on a shared host that doesn't enable access
> to SSH, so I can't manually create the symlinks. On windows they show as
> empty files, and they dont work inside my folder (in the shared host).
> The host is a linux machine.
>
> Is there anyway to create those symlinks in Windows (or even linux) and
> transfer them?
>
> I think they are a file system feature, so I believe this can't be done.
> Just wanna be sure thought. And maybe there is another way of installing
> typo3 without symlinks...

I've heard that there is some sort of third-party way of making
symlinks on Windows servers, but there are two other things you can
do:

1. If you create the remote directory structure locally--including
symlinks with relative paths--then tar and gzip it, the symlinks will
be preserved when it's unzipped on the remote *nix host (this is how
the TYPO3 source packages worked up until version 4.0 iirc). Your host
can unzip and move the files, or many hosting 'control panels' such as
cPanel will allow you to do this yourself.

2. Don't use any symlinks at all--they're a convenience, but by no
means necessary. Transfer the contents of the source package into the
web root of your hosting package and you're done.

3. You can also see if your host will enable ssh to your account for a
few hours. Many hosts who do not make ssh universally available to
their customers will do this if you have a good reason for it.

--
Christopher Torgalson