[TYPO3] TYPO3 + Squirrelmail

Guus Leeuw jr. guus.leeuw at guusleeuwit.com
Fri Feb 2 10:38:49 CET 2007

Hello List,

In August 2006, there was a thread in this list under the name
"[TYPO3] integrating squirrelmail or any other php application in typo3".

Very nice.

The thread referred to iframes, Single Sign On, the likes, and apps like
SquirrelMail and phpBB.

I've just finished the integration of SquirrelMail as an application into
TYPO3 on the basis of:
* Modified eu_ldap in that it stores my own md5-version-encrypted password
in the fe_users table;
* The page that refers to Email is an external URL
* There is a non-published plugin in SquirrelMail that gathers the
fe_user["username"] and fe_user["password"] from the TYPO3 DB (through the
fe_user* _COOKIE) at login time, decrypts the password, and tells
squirrelmail that the user is OK.
* The SM Plugin also hooks into the SM logout do_hook, figuring out where
to send the user back to (see note below)
* Everything is HTTPSEnforcer enforced, so works nice behind SSL.

Note:
The do_hook('logout') hook is fairly basic, in that
1) The login stuff recognizes and stores the full $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"]
2) The logout hook just sends the user back to that page.
Now, ideally, one would suggest that the user would be sent back to the
*parent* of the page where he came from, because, most likely, the user
entered the mail application from within a page with/without meaningfull
contents. Or even configurable / hardcoded. The point here is, I use the
web-squirrelmail for employees and email-hosting-hosted-mail-users alike,
so the logout page *should* be different *dynamically*.

All in all, it means, there was no need to write an extension or anything.
Just plugging together and a bit of extending... The SM plugin is like
*really* simple.

I reckon, this thing can be plugged in into other FE login extensions as
well, but since I base my whole security on LDAP->SASL->Kerberos5 there is
no point for me to try and implement that ;)

If there is enough response from the TYPO3 community, I may be moved to
publish my development under GPL and have it freely accessible on my
company's website, so let me know!

Kindest Regards,
Guus Leeuw jr.