[TYPO3] Complicated documentation? No reference guide? Do you know any good documentation?

Karol Martinka kmartinka at accalio.com
Fri Dec 14 12:21:43 CET 2007

Hello Dimitry,

thanks for the tip, I've already read those :)). The first think (two weeks
ago), what i've made was to read them briefly to understand the concept (as
I usually do for new systems) ...
I'm a programmer (mostly C++ & Delphi), I do understand object-oriented
concepts, but Typoscript was harder to understand from the doc's as
Smalltalk is ;-)..

Let me say some comments :
- I think the major question for a begginer is - how to create a template
(since the installation is quite easy and quick)

For example :
- There are several ways, how you can substitute text by typoscript - I know
now "marks" and "subparts".

Let me show you a simple example from the Daniel Koch's book : 4&5.
Templates (page 80-107) - 27 pages!! Ohh man!
BUT in those 27 pages, there isn't anything about substituting content like
: "marks.FEATURED_TEXT < styles.content.get" ?!?! And there are MANY MANY
block's of different code, described under separate headings :( .. Should
you rewrite it again and again to test the functionality?

IMHO it would be better to provide one FINAL code example and explain
row-by-row, what you can do with this and that property, object etc... And
also, there is a missing "object description" . - What is a "page" ???
Everybody knows, but why you have to initialize page=PAGE? what is typeNum ?
what else can page contain? which properties? what does it mean if you write
"temp.mainTemplate" ? should it be temp.mainTemplate or can it be
something.someThing ? Lot of unanswered questions - BUT there are simple
things described - like "check the file extension to find out the file type"
:-D . I don't think that a Typo3 beginner does not know, what is a file type
and extension but I'm sure he definitely will not know what does it mean
temp.mainTemplate..

And about the reference - let me explain it on an easy thing - 5.8. typolink
:

O.k. it wraps the incoming value with link.. Hey-stop! what does it actually
mean?? typolink is a important function but no explanation at all.
Why there isn't a short sample on the beginning, how it should look like in
the typoscript? Or for example the "additionalParams" property - there is a
sample '&print=1' . Why this sample is not written like
typolink.additionalParams = &print=1 ?  It's a little more of text, but
everybody can read it. If you write '&print=1' a beginner will not know on
the first sight if it is a sample of URL string in the browser and he has to
read more about figuring out, how to do that, or if it is the VALUE of the
property of the typolink OBJECT..

That's all for this moment. After I will learn Typoscript I may think to
help the community with a "simple" and beginner's reference guide to Typo3.
I will need it for myself as well, since I'm preparing ONE site and maybe I
will do ONE more, and that's all... And I think, after two-three months of
inactivity, I would not be able to read the code again :))..

Have a nice day and thank you!!
Karol

news:mailman.1.1197570656.3456.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...