[TYPO3] Complicated documentation? No reference guide? Do you know any good documentation?

James Knuckey james.faction at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:07:39 CET 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:30:30 +1300, Martin S <shieldfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's exactly what I've discovered. To learn Typo3 through documentation
> you need to know Typo3 already...
>
> When people are new to a system (any system) they may expect
> documentation
> to address their level of understanding. Sadly Typo3 to a very large
> degree
> lacks that documentation and oftentimes newbies are bashed with Typo3
> jargon
> which presupposes that they understand what the oldtimers are talking
> about.
> Which many don't which is why they ask questions...
>
> Problem here is perhaps that Typo3 is such an advanced system that
> developers are more or less supposed to be professionals to get it doing
> exactly what the developer want. And as the user community is to a large
> part made up of professionals they expect everyone to have the same
> commitment possibilies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin S

Yeah I have to agree. Commitment would be the key word here.

I started out building a website with TYPO3 knowing html and some css,
never touched PHP, MYSQL or javascript, and found the whole typoscript
concept potentially simple but thoroughly weird at the same time.

Now I know a LOT of CSS (thank you w3schools.com and cssplay.co.uk), can
read PHP and some javascript, I can at least work the phpmyadmin
interface, and I'm learning typoscript real quick. But... that's after
about 4 months of brain cracking work, research, experimentation, and
asking annoying questions on mailing lists. It takes a lot of commitment,
or at least dogged persistence, to get this far. Looking back I have to
say I'm quite proud of what I've acheived so far, the site is online
internally and mostly working, and our content team is pouring content
into it and have stopped asking me questions.

This level site took a lot of work from me but there's no way it could
have reached this level without the massive system that is TYPO3. Yes the
documentation needs work but I feel churlish complaining about it. Instead
if I had the time I would be helping rewrite it!

In the meantime, it's great to have somewhere like this to ask annoying
questions like I have been. :)