[TYPO3] Converting a new fresh install of TYPO3 to UFT-8

Erich Schreiber nospam at to.me
Fri Dec 7 11:03:58 CET 2007

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:21:42 +0200, "Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]"
<dmitry at typo3.org> wrote:

>Looks too complex for me. Usually forceCharset does everything without any need to mess up with database.

This is probably true, unless you need to sort and compare strings
alphabetically on the database level (SQL). Here you need the correct
collation. If this is used in standard Typo3 code I don't know, but
you probably can easily write an extension which will do this and
which might fail on tables with wrong collation settings.

The latin1_swedish_ci collation is default for MySQL, it's a Swedish
product, anyway. You can change this easily when setting up MySQL, but
you need root access, as explained in this article. As on shared
hosting accounts this is not feasible, you rely on your provider to
enable this consistently server-wide. Here probably non-American or
non-British hosting providers are more sensible, as they are normally
directly affected by the availability of correct character encoding.
But they need to be aware of the subtle implications of non-correct
collation choice and many don't understand this.

My 2¢ worth,

Erich