[TYPO3] how much to break down templates

Cate & Peter catepeter at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 3 03:07:36 CET 2007

I have a portal site, which uses different colours for different "channels",
as well as different layouts.

However, in all of that, the header, top level nav and footer remain the
same.

I have been using TV for layout.

I know that what I have done to date is not the most efficient use of the
templates, but I did what I knew how to do, which was to create a different
template for each area, complete with separate css.

Now that I am more knowledgeable about Typo3 and CSS, I have broken down my
CSS into colour/design and layout, so now it is possible for me to reuse an
html template and attach different CSS colour schemes.

Now I am wondering what the best way is of taking the next step and use a
single template with header, nav and footer mapped, then insert different
content area mappings in for the different areas.

I have used, but with great difficulty, the flexible content areas part of
TV I am not really sure how to go about it.

I should also mention, I am using CSS for layout as in absolute layout, so
the way the html read is not how it looks. I start with content areas, then
footer, then advertisement and auxiliary navigation, primary navigation,
then header and then advertisement, but the order is header with
advertisement floating above, nav, content, auxiliary navigation, footer.

Regards

Cate Deans Smith