[TYPO3] where is each extension used?

Bernd Wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Aug 24 02:22:00 CEST 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:15:13 -0500 (CDT), Bing Du wrote
with subject "Re: [TYPO3] where is each extension used?":

> > John 'Tux' Nielsen schrieb:
> > > grep -il ext_name /path/typo3/sites/*/typo3conf/localconf.php
> >
> > in localconf.php you only can see whether an extension is installed.
> > each extension existing in .../typo3conf/ext but not mentioned in
> > localconf.php is available but not installed. This you can see also in
> > the extensionmanager view: 'install extension': these extension got
> > another icon than the installed.
> >
> > but you don't know whether an extension is installed but not used. I
> > think this was the question of Bing Du.
> >
> > and this can be a very delicate question. You can use an extension in
> > very differnt ways.
> > * just include as library for other extensions
> > * FE-plugin
> > * BE-plugin
> > * just database enhancement
> >      :
> > (see kickstarter for some more options)
> >
> > with FE-plugins you have a chance (not 100%!)
> > if you look in the object-browser you can search for the extension-key
> > (press search-button twice!)
> >
> > if the extensionkey appears the extension is configured to be used. it
> > may be not used anyway.
> >
> > another approach: have a look in the table tt_content and select all
> > records containing a value in the field plugin.
> > deselect hidden and deleted records and you know about some extensions
> > which are realy used. (here you see the plugin-name not the extension key)
> >
> > that's all like: try to deinstall the extension and look whether your
> > page continue running. (trial and error)
> >
> > Bernd
> >

> Your got me right, Bernd.  I wanted to know on which page each extension is
> inserted as plugin.  I thought it might be helpful if the extension manager can
> have an extra column for each locally installed extension show their number
> references, and if you click the number, you'll get more details, like page ID,
> etc.

I don't think that this is done easily, because you can use an extension in
so much different ways.
Lets look at a FE-plugins:
you can insert is in a regular content-element (this you can detect with
phpmyadmin looking for all (active) records having an entry in the
plugin-field.
But you also can insert a plugin direct in typoscript (e.g.
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/page_params/1.0.1/view/1/2/)

and then there are those extension which only extend the database. Primary
they are executed at installation, but they also are included for extensing
the TCA.

Or those extension which just are libraries and used by other extensions.

and what about the other extnsions?
BE-Modules are not assigned to a special page.
 :
 :

you stay with 'trial and error'

regards
bernd

--
Don't ask what the TYPO3-community can do for you.
Ask what you can do for the TYPO3-community.