[TYPO3] Changes in RSS feed template don't work

Bing Du bdu at iastate.edu
Fri Aug 10 23:14:09 CEST 2007

> Hi,
>
> typo3 4.0.6
> tt_news 2.4.0
>
> In my master template I have:
>
> plugin.tt_news {
>   displayXML {
>
>       rss2_tmplFile = fileadmin/templates/typo3/tt_news_rss2.tmpl
>       blah blah
>   }
> }
>
> In fileadmin/templates/typo3/tt_news_rss2.tmpl, width and height were
> commented out like this:
>
>                         <!--
>                         <width>###IMG_W###</width>
>                         <height>###IMG_H###</height>
>                         -->
>
> But when I looked the source of http://www.somesite.some.edu/rss.xml (in
> SeaMonkey web browser), both <width/> and <height/> are still there.
>
> I cleared all the caches I could think of, clear all cache, clear FE
> cache, clear page cache, clear cache in typo3conf/.  I also cleared my
> browser's own cache. My changes in
> fileadmin/templates/typo3/tt_news_rss2.tmpl just doesn't take effect.
>
> Anybody know why?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Bing

I figured out, but not quite understand why.

All of our sites share a master template.  The master template defines:

plugin.tt_news {
  displayXML {

     rss2_tmplFile = fileadmin/templates/typo3/tt_news_rss2.tmpl
     xmlDesc = Latest News
  }
}

Each site has its own extension template that redefines xmlTitle, xmlLink,
etc. like this:

plugin.tt_news {
  displayXML {
    xmlTitle = Office of Recruiting Programs
    xmlLink = http://www.somesite.some.edu
    xmlDesc = News from the Office of Recruiting Programs
  }
}

I thought things defined in the master template should be inherited by the
extension template if the extension template doesn't have definitions.
But without repeating 'rss2_tmplFile =
fileadmin/templates/typo3/tt_news_rss2.tmpl' in the extension template,
any changes I made in rss2_tmplFile didn't work.  After adding
rss2_tmplFile in the extension template, as shown below, template changes
worked fine then.