[TYPO3] Newspaper looking for a CMS

Valery Romanchev info at typo3lab.ru
Sat Aug 4 00:07:00 CEST 2007

Osipov Dan ?????:
> Hello,
>
> We are a newspaper site, currently with 1.5 million articles, with
> hundreds added every day. Our site has separate features, like blogs,
> photo galleries, static content, etc. We get close to 20 million hits a
> month.
> Right now we are looking for a new CMS system base on top of which we
> will build custom modifications to fit our site. Can you tell us if
> Typo3 would be a good choice for our type of site? What kind of hardware
> would we need to support our traffic? Is there a better choice for a CMS
> for us (open-source or commercial)?
> I am not scared by the complexity of it, as long as it gets the job
> done.
>
> Please let us know your ideas, or if you know any helpful sites we could
> look at.

TYPO3 can be OK for this project, if it will be used with some software
for community functionality

For example TYPO3 + vBulletin (there are some integration extensions for
this).

The most important advantages:
- TYPO3 has good content management for "static" pages and articles
- TYPO3 has DAM (Digital Asset Management) for image storage,
categorization etc
- caching to static HTML files

Disadvantages:
- you have to use other software for community functionality
- performance for not cached pages can be low. for example
http://www.wciom.ru home pages is generated in 5-12 sec (if no cache)

Regards,
Valery Romanchev
http://www.typo3lab.ru