[TYPO3] Newspaper looking for a CMS

Elmar Hinz elmar07 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 3 19:52:42 CEST 2007

Osipov Dan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are a newspaper site, currently with 1.5 million articles, with
> hundreds added every day. Our site has separate features, like blogs,
> photo galleries, static content, etc. We get close to 20 million hits a
> month.
> Right now we are looking for a new CMS system base on top of which we
> will build custom modifications to fit our site. Can you tell us if
> Typo3 would be a good choice for our type of site? What kind of hardware
> would we need to support our traffic? Is there a better choice for a CMS
> for us (open-source or commercial)?
> I am not scared by the complexity of it, as long as it gets the job
> done.
>
> Please let us know your ideas, or if you know any helpful sites we could
> look at.

Hi,

for me the first question is, how static or dynamic the pages will be. If
whole pages are deliverd statically, you only need to generate each page
one time with TYPO3. The rest can be done by caching and load balancing.
That should work.

If it comes to dynamic content, blogs, votings etc. things get difficult.
TYPO3 4.x is not designed for dynamic content with millions of page views.
But I can imagine a fast self made layer upon TYPO3, that dynamically
replaces markers in static pages generated with TYPO3.

Subline: There are commercial products, that are optimized for newspapers.
TYPO3 can be used as part of a software mix, that uses the strengths of
TYPO3 and patches the weaknesses with creative foreign solutions.

Regards

Elmar