[TYPO3] localconf.php is not found!

Eddy de Vries eddy.devries at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 29 23:22:46 CEST 2007

Hi group!

I am new to Typo3 and do struggle with a frequent problem namely when I go
to: www.domainname.com/typo3/ I do get the message:

localconf.php is not found!

I have read many, many posts on various websites about this message but have
not found a working solution. I am new to Typo3 so forgive me when I ask
less smart questions ;-)

I followed the install.txt instructions and read that this problem is due to
not having the correct permissions. That's why I chmod-ed the directories to
777 instead of 775.
I used the following commands:

chmod -R 777 fileadmin typo3conf typo3temp uploads
chgrp -R psacln fileadmin typo3conf typo3temp uploads

This does result in the following:

----------------------------

drwxrwxrwx   vries	psacln  fileadmin/
drwxrwxrwx   vries	psacln  typo3conf/
drwxrwxrwx   vries	psacln  typo3temp/
drwxrwxrwx   vries	psacln  uploads/
drwxr-xr-x   root    	wheel   typo3_src-4.1.1/
-rwxr--r--   vries	psaserv _.htaccess
-rwxr--r--   vries	psaserv clear.gif

lrwxr-xr-x   vries	psaserv typo3_src 	-> typo3_src-4.1.1
lrwxr-xr-x   vries	psaserv index.php 	-> typo3_src/index.php
lrwxr-xr-x   vries	psaserv t3lib 		-> typo3_src/t3lib
lrwxr-xr-x   vries	psaserv tslib 		->
typo3_src/typo3/sysext/cms/tslib
lrwxr-xr-x   vries	psaserv typo3 		-> typo3_src/typo3

I can follow the symlinks (so these work fine)
The file localconf.php does exist in typo3conf/.
drwxrwxrwx   vries	psacln  localconf.php

So what is it I do wrong?