[TYPO3] On diff patches again - comments

Corrado support at eeos.biz
Wed Apr 4 18:20:11 CEST 2007

Bertalan Fodor wrote:

> For which version would you create the patch?
> For the simple case of upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 you would have to
> create 7 patch files for the different upgrades (like 4.0.2 to 4.1.1).
>
> And what if you find that something went wrong on the update and want to
> go back? With the ln -s method it is again one rm and one ln -s. With
> diff-s...
>
> How could an upgrade be simpler than the two lines of
> rm typo3_src
> ln -s typo3_src-4.1.1 typo3_src
>
> Bert

Actually, an upgrade would be:

1) ftp download new version
2) ftp upload new version on server
3) decompress through ssh
4) change ownership on folder (optional) through ssh
5) change permissions on folder through ssh
6) rm old folder through ssh
7) link new folder through ssh

step (1) takes anything up to 3 hours if the operation is successful in many
places in Africa and in most of other development countries
step (2) takes anything up to 3 hours  if the operation is successful in
many places in Africa and in most of other development countries

If that is simple.

finally I a not propsing to abandon the link method, but to add the diff
method

Best,

Corrado
--