[TYPO3] How to Replace Database

robin niemeyer robin.niemeyer at gmx.net
Tue Apr 3 15:03:07 CEST 2007

Hi Nate,

I think you want to setup a new local copy of your live environment? If
that's the case, you would run into trouble if you only do a DB update,
since your live DB may have been altered by extensions you haven't
installed in your testing environment.

The best way to get both environment in sync would be (besides the DB
dump you actually made) to replace the fileadmin, uploads and typo3conf
folders in your local environment with the ones from your server.

For the DB export/import stuff you can either do a 'mysqlimport' (see
the MySQL manual for more info) or, more convienient, use phpmyadmin
(see http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php), which you could
also install as an Typo3 extension.

Just read your follow-up:
> and the sql file I'm trying to import is
>   390MB.

The max. import size for a MySQL dump with phpmyadmin is around 10 MB,
but there is a similar tool called HeidiSQL, which could handle much
larger dumps, but I don't know if this works for Mac OS. Maybe you can
take a look at the graphical tools provided by MySQL:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

On the other hand, you could also do a dump on a per table basis, so you
have smaller files.

One last possibility would be to edit the dump files manually, i.e. to
cut some of the data, since you won't need every single content you have
in your life environment.

Cheers,
Robin