[TYPO3] Commerce Payment Capabilities

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Sep 29 17:32:01 CEST 2006

Hi Ryan,

>> I think what we really need is something similar to paymentlib, but
>> which runs with PHP4.
>
> I think all PHP4 development should be discouraged at all costs.
> What's
> going to happen when PHP6 comes out?  It's really not difficult to
> upgrade clients to PHP5, there are only a few upward compatibility
> issues that usually point to bad php3/4 code anyway.

In theory I wholly agree with this. In practice I see that many if
not most of the ISPs haven't upgraded their servers to PHP5, probably
because it saves costs and they can't be bothered. Most clients don't
understand what benefit they could derive from having PHP5 since
everything seems to work fine with PHP4, so there's no pressure on
ISPs. In this light, PHP6 seems more like science-fiction than
something real.

Cheers

François Suter
Directeur technique