[TYPO3] HTML 4.01 Strict?

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Tue Sep 26 13:49:37 CEST 2006

Hello Matthew,

> ben thanks!
>
>> Why on earth would you want to run it on HTML 4.0.1? If you want that
>> then use an older version. Can't think of any good reason though.
>>
> I am working on a TYPO3 site that is part of an EU project that
> requires HTML 4.0.1 strict as a organisation-wide coding standard.
> Nothing wrong with that at all. Why do you think otherwise?
>
> 4.0.1 is the final release of HTML and as such remains the defacto
> standard for HTML adherence. From this point forward web developers
> choose either HTML or XHTML.
>
> My reason for HTML strict aside. TYPO3 v4 by default kicks out hard
> coded xhtml tags. It is not possible without hacking to go even to the
> TYPO3 v4 default of HTML transitional.
>
> Since when did I miss that TYPO3 v4 no longer supports HTML?
>
> Matthew

To get HTML 4.01 as doctype, use following in TS Setup

config.doctype = <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

But I suppose you will get some validation errors. Look in TSref, part "Config"
for details, and possible solutions to clean code. Also the possibility to
use Tidy, look in install tool.

Myself I only use XHTML, because I don't see any good reasons to use HTML
4.01. Yes, I'm aware of the discussions amongst purist's.

With version 4 of TYPO3 it was taken a desicion as far as I know to make
it XHTML compliant.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no