[TYPO3] Question about multilanguage site

Kimmo Helle kimmo.helle at paitsioREMOVE.com
Thu Sep 21 22:15:20 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a site in English and Finnish. I'm using
the one-page-tree method and at the moment I seem to have languages
Default, English and Finnish.
I'm planning to publish the site first in Finnish and later on change
English as my default language. So far I have therefore made the content
so that default items are in English and then translated the items. But
the problem seems to be that if I want to create the item in Finnish via
tt_news or as a content item, it seems to disappear from typo3 as the
items can not be seen in list view. Normal content is still in page view,
but the news item can't be found from anywhere.
Therefore I'd like to ask that can I do the things this way and if so
how:
My site is going to have at some point users who are Finnish and
English. If a Finnish guy logs on and he doesn't know any English, he would
need to first use the default language and then "translate" the already in
Finnish item to Finnish. Then the guy who knows Finnish and English
comes in and translates the item to English. All should be ok. But if the
guy in UK makes the item and uses the default first, then "translates" to
English, this would mean that the Default site is a mixture of English
and Finnish.
So is it possible to hide the default completely and only use the
translated versions? If I'm completely lost, please show correct my way of
thinking :D--
Cheers,
Kimmo

PS. I have read Kasper's document