[TYPO3] Extensions and GPL

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Fri Sep 8 14:32:32 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Peter Russ wrote:
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
>
> And? How does this cancel GPL for plugins? Plugins still depend on typo3
> and its API, so they are GPL by definition.
>
> If plugin uses non-GPL library, it does not fit to GPL (your link #1)
> and they have to be private. They cannot appear in TER because TER
> requires GPLed extensions.
>
> Thus:
> - any public extension is GPL
> - private extension is author's own business

I guess we have the same understanding but from different directions.

TYPO3 + nothing special (extension w/o additonal libs/framework) -> GPL
TYPO3 + non GPL -> depends

So can we conclude the answer for the question:
1) "...can be licensed in any way we want. Is that right?"
No that's not right and was mentioned and stated before.

2) "...doesn't want to share the extensions"
GPL it NOT claiming to make the extension publicly available if you and
your customer agree on not publishing it. BUT you customer would have
the right to do anything with the code he wants.

Regs. Peter.

--
Fiat lux!
Docendo discimus.