[TYPO3] How will versioning react if you edit the database manually?

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Oct 31 17:39:03 CET 2006

Possible you want to create a typo3 service to get the
XML feed and store them in the DB.

I believe there are API's for doing such a thing that
will handle the versioning/storing part. I have did it
once by my own code and that seems the work,
not really hard todo.

You could make it work that you can see that a field was
changed by your service-user. The service-user is teh BE
user that runs the import-from-XML based on a cron.
Much like how DAM indexer works and Indexed_search
indexer.

I wouldn't want to use perl unless you have a good reason of course..

Ries

> Hey again :)
>
> Another question regarding my mega-commerce thing. These 2.5+ million items
> are fed to the application by means of external XML feeds inserted directly
> into the SQL server regularly as Perl scripted server tasks.
>
> The sysadmin will be changing some fields in some records because the data
> quality is not always up to par. On the other hand, other fields, such as
> availability and shipping time, will be updated by the feeds as these
> change outside of the system.
>
> I'm wondering what this will do to the versioning capabilities of TYPO3?
> And, just in case I'm mixing concepts here, in plain English,
> by "versioning capabilities" I mean the ability to review the history of
> editing on an item and revert to a previous state. My concern is that if
> certain fields are edited outside of TYPO3's domain, there will be
> discrepancies and all hell breaks lose...
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel :)

Ries van Twisk