[TYPO3] How will versioning react if you edit the database manually?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 09:19:33 CET 2006

Hey again :)

Another question regarding my mega-commerce thing. These 2.5+ million items
are fed to the application by means of external XML feeds inserted directly
into the SQL server regularly as Perl scripted server tasks.

The sysadmin will be changing some fields in some records because the data
quality is not always up to par. On the other hand, other fields, such as
availability and shipping time, will be updated by the feeds as these
change outside of the system.

I'm wondering what this will do to the versioning capabilities of TYPO3?
And, just in case I'm mixing concepts here, in plain English,
by "versioning capabilities" I mean the ability to review the history of
editing on an item and revert to a previous state. My concern is that if
certain fields are edited outside of TYPO3's domain, there will be
discrepancies and all hell breaks lose...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel :)