[TYPO3] urgent help needed [OT: real names]

Cate & Peter catepeter at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 27 03:47:29 CEST 2006

>If I have something to hide I simply make a full name to avoid any
>problems :-)

I have to agree - why is it so important we know someone's full name
(defined only by us), before we offer them help? Does knowing their name
somehow help us help them more? And if they make up a name to pacify the
list police, does that mean we can help them more? Or less? It is completely
irrelevant.

I have been cyberstalked in the past, and as a result I do not and will not
use my full name in email lists - particularly open lists that are archived.
As it is, I do use my real first name here, but in many lists I don't.

I see that I *am* respecting the list by allowing the list to see my real
name.

If something that someone says sparks my interest, and I have a reason to
ask their true identity, that is something I will do offlist, in respect of
privacy.

In actual fact, it is worth noting that by demanding people list their real
and full names, the list would be breaking Australian privacy law, and
possibly other nations' privacy laws too. So I am glad that Ries points out
it is simply a suggestion, not compulsory.

Cate