[TYPO3] Changing the rendering of a single content element

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Oct 25 13:38:36 CEST 2006

Hello Vlatko,

> My version is 1.0.4. I have no clue how I got to use such an old
> version. I think I recall trying to upgrade, but it broke my templates
> so I reverted back. Question: will my old templates work on the new
> version of tt_news if I just copy them over?

Don't know, beacuse I haven't tested it. But compare your old template with
a new one, then you probably find the important differences. This is how
I do it.

> Well this is strange. Perhaps I misimagined the whole process in my
> head. This is how I see it. Typo3 reads tt_content element by element,
> determines the type of each content element and calls an appropriate
> object to render the content element. So, for tt_news, it just loads
> the tt_news plugin to render that specific news plugin content
> element. Now, what I imagined, was beeing able to say to typo3 (via
> TS): when you run into a content element with id of lets say 5, which
> happens to be tt_news plugin instance on a page (not a news item)
> don't use the standard tt_news plugin object to render it but instead
> use mine, a slightly modified one. Is there a way to do this?

Maybe, but I suppose this is a complicated way (better to upgrade, because
you probably has to do it one time or another). But there are a lot of possibilites
using TS and/or hooks with tt_news. But I have never needed to look into
all the details.

An ugrade also gives access to new functionality.

> Thanks for the info. You are the first one providing me with anything
> useful. Much appreciated. My typo3 is 3.8.0, tt_news is 1.0.4.

You should upgrade TYPO3 to 3.8.1 (because of security issues with 3.8.0).
This is a easy and clean upgrade.

Before upgrade, read the latest manual carefully - has it's own part about
upgrade.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no