[TYPO3] Firefox is checking spelling and offering suggestions

Ron Hall ron at busynoggin.com
Sun Oct 22 16:25:48 CEST 2006

Just discovered a great feature in the upcoming version of Firefox
and thought some of you would be interested. I downloaded and
installed Firefox 2.0rc3. As I was editing some Typoscript in the
back end of TYPO3, I noticed many of the words had a red dotted line
underneath them. All of the words that were underlined were coding-
type words like "stdWrap." At that point I realized that Firefox can
now check spelling in forms.

Even better, if you control-click (Mac) on the misspelled word, a
context menu will come up and give suggestions that you can select. I
use the mac version of Firefox, but I am sure the Windows version
does the same thing but probably with different key combinations.

Now, when you are in a RTE field in TYPO3, you will see misspelled
words underlined but the context menu will not come up  because it is
superseded by a RTE context menu. But there is a way around this.

I never use the RTE context menu so I disabled it using this code:

     RTE.default.disableContextMenu = 1

This allows the Firefox context menu to appear instead of the RTE
context menu.

To me, this is a great feature. Funny the things you discover just by
keeping your eyes open.

Ron Hall
Dallas, Texas

blog: "Adventures in TYPO3" at www.busynoggin.com/blog