[TYPO3] Problem editing html files in the file module

Peter Gallagher pgallagher at electricretina.com
Thu Oct 19 05:15:42 CEST 2006

Peter Gallagher wrote:
>>> I cannot edit the html files that I use for my templates. The file
>>> module will only return a blank page in the frame. If I try to upload
>>> new files to over-write them the files are not uploaded, the file
>>> module returns a blank page.
>>>
>>> Please note that I can upload other files, small ones and larger
>>> files, but the two html files (8k) will not upload. Other files of
>>> the same size will upload fine. It is just driving me crazy.
>>>
>>> Error in IE 6: Action Canceled. Internet Explorer was unable to link
>>> to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily
>>> unavailable.
>>>
>>> I need some help because I cannot ftp the files to the server because
>>> of permissions that cannot be changed via ftp and I cannot edit the
>>> files in typo3!

>> Ok, I will talk to myself for a while. I have been trying to find out
>> if this is a bug or not. I have two different typo3 installations, one
>> is v4 and the other is v4.0.2 both exhibit the same problem. when I
>> try to upload these specific html files the file-upload fails, but it
>> fails without throwing an error. When I check the log in the system
>> there is no record of the attempt to upload the file.
>
> Ok, I have finally figured out the problem. It seems that for security
> reasons (not confirmed) if an HTML file contains a reference to an
> external javascript the upload will fail without throwing an error. The
> same goes if you are trying to edit an HTML file in the file-browser
> that contains a reference to an external javascript file.
>
> solution: remove the reference to the javascript file before uploading
> or editing.
>
> Problem: adding the reference to the external javascript file to the
> html page.
>
> In my case the js file is a custom script that controls my drop-down
> menus. Stay posted for a solution....
>
> Peter
>
> ::share::

It turns out that my hosting provider was filtering for cross site scripting attacks and
it was killing all my file uploads and file edits within the BE. Anyhow, here is how you
would add the external reference to the javascript

page.headerData.10 = TEXT
page.headerData.10.value = <script type="text/javascript
src="fileadmin/templates/scripts/yourscript.js"></script>

Peter