[TYPO3] urgent help needed [OT: real names]

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 17:16:51 CEST 2006

Hello,

On 10/18/06, Tyler Kraft <headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Calm down Ian...
>
> There has to be some basis or judgement, and it is common sense, and I'm
> sorry but Dmitry is correct in assuming that Rocky Ou would more likely
> than not be someones real name!
>
> I'm sure that Dmitry didn't mean any offence at all, he merely didn't
> believe that it was a real name. And tbh I didn't either (I thought it
> was a pseudonym as usually that's what people use on a ML).
>

> cousins at cousins wrote:
> > Except that he didn't hide his identity .. his name _is_ Rocky Ou - you
> > made an assumption that his name was a nome-de-plume - when will you
> > guys accept that not everyone has a name like Franz or Dmitry or John or
> > Ian.....

I'm wth Ian: you guys have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER if this is or is not a
real name. There have definitely been occasions on the lists where
people have been upbraided for using names that I'm quite sure were
real.* This is just one of the reasons why the real name hysteria on
the TYPO3 lists is so bizarre.

It's perfectly acceptable for the list rules to /request/ that users
add their real names to messages, but it's pointless--and sometimes
just plain insulting--the way that people try to /enforce/ it as an
absolute requirement.

Besides the problem of accusing users of using made up names when they
are in fact real, there is also the problem that some users may have
/good reasons/ for not using their full real name on this list. Is it
really so difficult to understand that a TYPO3 enthusiast who, for
example works for a commercial CMS vendor, might not want their
employer to be able to easily discover (anyone familiar with Google?)
that he or she spends his or her free time developing or promoting a
competing product?

Add to all of this the nasty tone these discussions sometimes
take--for example, I was essentially threatened with the possibility
of expulsion from the HCI list for this reason last week--and the
insistence that people use their real names because "we're a friendly
list" seems at times rather hollow.

-Christopher

* Made-up example--which name cannot possibly be a Korean name?

Sang-jin
Sang-zin

If you can't tell, you've got no business telling people with strange
or unfamiliar names to use their real names instead!