[TYPO3] No tutorials?

Franz Malten Buemann / TYPO 3 PORTAL info at t3p.dk
Wed Oct 4 20:27:27 CEST 2006

Hi all,

This is becoming a long thread - again. Everybody besides a few people have
as long as I recall argued that TYPO3s documentation is great in size but
not in content. I have been working with TYPO3 since 2002 or 2001 can't
remember when it was any longer. A friend came to me and said to me "Franz,
Kasper made this portal for me, it's php and mysql, isn't that something you
can maintain for me" and stupid as I was at that time I just said "oh yes
sure why not that can't be to hard to learn". Well trust me it was a lot
easier to learn programming php/mysql than figuring out how to master TYPO3.

But now when I am nearing my 100th solution made with TYPO3 all the pieces
have fallen in place. And all printed documentation is nicely archived in my
paper basket.

In my opinion TYPO3 are for developers only because of all the endless
options that TYPO3 gives you. In reality much of my work has been shutting
off options so the end-users wouldn't be confused.

But back to the main point is the documentation adequate? Yes, if you are a
developer that not just uses your time as many does on this mailing-list
sucking out quick information and learning zip from it. If you really want
to learn TYPO3, then you should dick into it and find the solutions yourself
and learn from the troubled road.

My dream for the rest is, that the marketing people pull them selves
together and specify a minimal solution that will satisfy 80-90% of
everybody's needs. Then the designer people can set up a few nice design and
we the developers can implement it. The technical writers can then make a
pocket book documenting this "most people" solution.

This will make the start up easier and the needed learning curve will then
be more equivalent with the initial returns on your time investment. And
documentation resources can be concentrated on the minimal solution and the
rest can be document inside the code, through charts, and api's.

It short it is impossible to document a solution where everything is
possible, so let's start with making a minimal solution and document this to
peaces.

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Franz Malten Buemann

TYPO 3 PORTAL