[TYPO3] No tutorials?

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Mon Oct 2 20:20:26 CEST 2006

Hi!

Jamie Lawrence Jenner wrote:
> 1. The current documentation for typo3 is not up to par, this is mentioned
> many times on these lists,

Reasons are known: typo3 has no paid developers. For example, right now
I could play with my two kids but I sit here and write code for
templavoila instead. For you. For free. And you complain... Sometimes I
feel that I should play with kids instead.

> 2. compared to other cms, typos documentation is bad

This is a kind of statement that I hate at all times. It is like in ads:
"our tooth paste compared to another tooth paste". If you do such strong
statements, you must be concrete. What other cms has better documentation?

> The reason, as i stated, is that new users dont understand the concepts.

I was new user 2 years ago. I used the same tutorials, I worked hard.
Now I am in the core team as well as responsible for key extensions. It
is all up to you what to do: complain or learn and share your knowledge
with others for free.

> It took me months to understand how to use Typo3, but, what i did was
> document the key concepts, what pages are, the different content elements
> are, extensions, templating in templa voila, and wrote them in a very simple
> to understand

These things look simple only when you know them. And real talent needed
to describe complex things in simple language. Writers take a lot of
money for it. I afraid you expect a thing that never will be done unless
someone pays for it.

People try writing things. Kasper wrote great localization doc, though
it took me hours to understand it completely. Probably, a professional
technical writer could simplify it and make easier to understand but we
do not have processional technical writers at hand. If you feel you can
do it, than just do it.

No offense too.

--
Dmitry Dulepov