[TYPO3] No tutorials?

Jamie Lawrence Jenner forums at webgremlins.net
Mon Oct 2 18:14:20 CEST 2006

whoa there now!

1. The current documentation for typo3 is not up to par, this is mentioned
many times on these lists,
2. compared to other cms, typos documentation is bad
3. i am not slagging off others, if i offended then sorry,
4. Oops, broken link, should be pointing to another domain (cheers)

The reason, as i stated, is that new users dont understand the concepts.
These are key to understanding how to do tasks in Typo3. Sure we can write
in some docs create a sys folder, set constants, but it is not easy to find
what a sys folder is or where the constants editor is, or in fact what the
constants do.

It took me months to understand how to use Typo3, but, what i did was
document the key concepts, what pages are, the different content elements
are, extensions, templating in templa voila, and wrote them in a very simple
to understand

I am not saying that the developers i taught were gurus, but they understood
key concepts such as differnt page types, constants editor, typoscript
basics, its functionality, what static templates are, creating sites in
templa, the steps of installing extensions, mapping content areas, and a
whole load of other concepts.Saying this  typo3 newbies is like speaking in
a foreign language. I also then provided visual learning aids, whcih i used
to teach them, but they also had access to these after. On the weeks since
the course, they have been creating internal sites, and re working some
client sites. I have recieve a couple of calls form them, but most of the
time they will use the information i wrote, or be able to trouble shoot as
they know the roles of constants, static templates etc

The ISP i did the course for now has a small team of develoeprs creating
sites for their clients, so i am sure i have taken the time to do something
for Typo3, after all, i recommended Typo3 to them as it is the most powerful
and flexible cMS i researched.

Sure they still learn new things, but it hasnt taken them months like it did
for me to learn something which is the basics of the sytem.

No offence, but please dont insult me when you know nothing about what i do

Jamie