[TYPO3] No tutorials?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus daniel at polyteknisk.it
Mon Oct 2 17:29:51 CEST 2006

JoH wrote:
>> The "Kom i gang" (getting started) tutorial on the site is three years
>> old and relies on a "quickstart" package that doesn't apply (or
>> exist?) to v4.0. doc_tut_quickstart is from 2004. So is Basic
>> Extension Tutorial (which I can't use right now anyway, as I still
>> have no knowledge about the fundamentals of the backend). Frontend
>> Programming is from 2002. So is References Tutorial. Futuristic
>> Template Building is from 2004.
>>

> Well - did you just try one of them or did you drop them just because they
> looked outdated to you?
> AFAIK the doc_tut_quickstart still applies to most of the stuff even if it's
> 4.0 stuff now.
> The major changes between 3.8 and 4.0 have been made by adding functionality
> like workspaces or DAM, while the basics are still the same.

I started reading the quickstart. This, however, is based upon the
reader installing from the (3.x) quickstart package, which I have not.
I.e. when it comes to "Take a lot at the frontend, it should look like
this", it's pretty much a dead end, as mine read, "no pages at root
level"...
> The golive tutorial is from 2002 and still works pretty well.
> I recommend this as the base for any other activities regarding templating.
> "Modern Template Building" and "Futuristic Template Building" are just
> showing you other ways of templating.
> The first one relies on the autoparser the second one on templa volia, which
> are both extensions to the TYPO3 core functions.
> You will find other documentation for both of them by searching their names.

That's good to know, thanks. I will reference this when I get to
templating. Right now I'm just confused about the basics :)

> BTW: Did you ever try to read the "readme.txt" /"Install.txt" coming with
> your TYPO3 source package?

Yes, not only did I try, I also succeeded. Actually, I've also read it
half a year ago, when AFAIR there were still instructions on the
symlinks you'd need to create to install TYPO3, instructions that are
now gone. Which is weird, to say the least, considering that it's vital
for successfully setting up your site? Unless, of course you choose the
pre-setup packages, which are close to one year old and belong to a
different generation of TYPO3. I'm also not sure what I'm expected to
find here other than the things I've already found. Any reference to
anything tutorial-like is to the old 3.x quickstart and testsite
packages, or the forementioned even older documentation...

I know I must be sounding like an old grunt here, but seriously, there's
no up-to-date entry level documentation available for the newcoming user
of TYPO3 AFAICT.

> Another good source to really see TYPO3 in action and understand the basic
> principles is here:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/videos/

Now this looks - at first glance - really good. I'll be trying this out!
Hopefully I'll find it's up-to-date and doesn't rely on me starting with
an old quickstart or testsite package :) Thanks for that link.

> If you still want more you might consider buying a book or paying for a
> professional training.

Professional training is a bit over the top, I believe. I would *love*
to buy a book, except as far as I can tell by searching the website and
Amazon, only one such book exists, and it's outdated. :'(

Anyway, I'm gonna check out those vids. Hope they help :)

Thanks,
Daniel

--
Daniel Smedegaard Buus
Webudvikler

Polyteknisk IT
Anker Engelundsvej 1, 101E
2800 Lyngby

Phone : +45 7742 4441
Fax   : +45 7742 4445
Direct: +45 7742 4446
E-mail: pit at polyteknisk.it

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
information intended for the addressee(s) stated above only. If you
receive this email by mistake, please return it to Polyteknisk IT
without producing, distributing or retaining copies hereof.