[TYPO3] Site upload strategy

Daniel Schledermann daniel at typoconsult.dk
Tue Nov 21 22:24:20 CET 2006

Syed S Rahman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone suggest me the best way to upload my website to the public
> server? I am working on a local installation of typo3 and want to
> transfer my work to a public server for hosting. I can think of two ways:
> 1) Using t3d export feature of typo3.

This ofcourse would require a working install of TYPO3, but that doesnt
seem like the rigth way to do it.

> 2) Export the database using phpMyAdmin and the uploading the local
> typo3 directory structure as is to the server.

This seems more right.. You got the site working, you dont want to
change that.

Bear in mind that a mysql-db might very well be too large to execute
within the normal allowed request time for php-scripts. A backup plan
would be knowing someone with shell access, like your a person at your
hosting, that can import your database with a shell-command if
phpMyAdmin times out.

> But while making a t3d file i receive warnings about recursive pages and
> content which I don't understand quite well. I don't want to take any
> chances with the final production site.

This shouldnt be a problem. You can just try again if it fails. I
wouldnt do it with a .t3d to start with if it is a complete site. Try
sql-dump + full file structure.

> Will anyone kindly tell me how to do it, and the best practices if any
> exist while transferring local typo3 installations to public web servers.

Well..   my company hosts hundreds of T3-sites. The default practice is
always using a SQL-dump and a .tar.gz'ed dump of the filesystem when
moving sites. I only use .t3d's if I have to move a single site from
multisite installation.

/Daniel