[TYPO3] RealURL maps correctly but returns 404 errors

Paul M paul at xedos.net
Wed Nov 15 12:23:07 CET 2006

Rather stupidly the bit I was missing was to enable httpd.conf to refer to
.htaccess
The changes needed for that in http.conf are:-

AccessFileName .htaccess
<Directory /var/www/html/supportal/httpdocs>
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
</Directory>
<Files ~ "^\.htaccess$">
        order allow,deny
        deny from all
</Files>

In short then to get RealURL to do the mapping so that any new page added is
automatically changed from http://sitename/index.php?id=<pageid> to
http://sitename/pagename.html you need to do the following
1. enable httpd.conf for .htaccess
2. configure .htaccess as previously mentioned in this post
3. configure localconf.php to add the array (see earlier)
4. configure main template as described above - the default mapping from the
RealURL doc maps to pageids eg. http://sitename/3 which you probably don't
want. The one above seemed to do the correct http://sitename/content.html
mapping

One point of confusion I had for a long while is that from what I have seen
so far nothing needs to be added to the PageHeaders under RealURL mapping
for this to work. At least that is the case for my simple set up so far.
Also, to get you going it is not essential to install the extensions
URLtool, RealURLconfigurator, RealURLmanagement and jb_realurl_regeneration
- all of which I did. I am sure they will be handy later - particularly
those last two but for starters they are not essential. What does help is to
enable Rewite logging at level 9 and to also check your standard apache
error logs and run a tail -f on both of these whilst you are trying to get
things working. Also, there is an element of RTFM  needed with the RealURL
doc in order to gt the background understanding of how the URL is parsed and
re-mapped into preVars, postVars etc. Having said that there is still large
bits of that doc that I haven't yet grasped but will certainly need to go
back to if I ever plan multi-site, multi-language or custom extensions etc

Cheers
Paul