[TYPO3] visibility management on contents

Bing Du bdu at iastate.edu
Tue Nov 14 21:33:20 CET 2006

> Bing Du wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Our websites have difference audiences.  Some information is common
>> among
>> the audiences but in different level of details.  Let's say, if I have a
>> page that has three parts, A, B and C.  A is brief introduction. B has
>> more information  based on A.  And C has even more detailed information
>> based on A+B.  If our site navigation break down like this
>>
>> Group1
>> Group2
>> Group3
>>
>> We want Group1 to see A, Group2 to see A+B and Group3 to see A+B+C.  The
>> point is create some sort of content base and assign different parts to
>> different groups of people.  It's kind like how view is used in database
>> management.  Any ideas how I can achieve that?
>
> with "base" typo3 you have to design well your FE groups.. then you assign
> the content to the right groups..
>
> otherwise there is an extension that allows you to assign a content to
> multiple FE user groups..
> this is by far an easier way :)

Thanks much for the reply.  But what I want is something different.
Sorry, if my original post didn't make it clear.  I want to allow people
(in the wild) to decide if they want to explore more completely based on
their willingness.  Let's say if we have perspective students and current
students in the menu, in terms of courses information, maybe perspective
students just want to get an overall idea what courses are provided and
what each course is about, but for current students, they surely want to
know more than that, like pass/fail policy, where to find class
notes/slides, etc. etc.  I want to centrally store the course information,
then make the link of perspective students points to a page that has the
introduction parts of the central store and the current students link
points to a page that has both introduction and more detailed courses
information.  If perspective students want to know more about courses,
they can click the current students link and see what's provided there
without any restrictions.

I'm not very sure how to get information best organized with minimum
duplication.  What's on my mind right now is I can create a page that has
all the courses information.  Then we'll create different pages picking up
contents (using 'insert record') from the central pool depending on
different needs.   I'm sure that's not the only or best way to do it.  But
I'm not aware of other options.  I'd appreciate if anybody could shed some
light on how to get contents managed more effectively.

Thanks in advance,

Bing