[TYPO3] Collaborative Filtering

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Nov 14 03:54:43 CET 2006

Ellison, Todd wrote:
> I would like to do some collaborative filtering (like
> http://www.vogoo-api.com/) on a site we are working on.  Basically, I
> would like users to be able to rate content items, compare their ratings
> to other users, and suggest content to them based on those ratings.
> First, is there an extension to do something like this that I am
> missing? I would hate to re-do work someone else has probably already
> done better.  Second, do you guys feel that this would be something
> terribly difficult for someone who has lots of PHP experience, but has
> never developed a Typo3 extension before, to implement?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Todd

I have been looking into collaborative filtering in the past.
Die to time restrictions it was never implemented.
I do believe that there are some good Java toolkits
out there that can do simular items.

I did implement a rather complicated rating extension (not ltg_rating)
that allow for ratings to objects and will remember who did
the rating it also allows for for calculating teh total rating and
teh total importance of a rating over time.
(Imagine 100 ratings done 20 years ago with a total raing of 9,
then one rating of 8 in the year 2006 wouldn't make sence.
This extension can compensate with historical ratings).
But it doesn't do collaborative filtering and make user suggestions.

If you are interested in the java toolkits name then mail me, I can't dig
it up from my old mails right now I remember it was OPen Source
and quite good. I also remember that you needed quite a lot of
CPU power to do all calculations.

Ries

Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer