[TYPO3] Has anybody else integrated a second database with TYPO3?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 09:00:31 CET 2006

R. van Twisk wrote:

> hey Daniel,
>
> a client of mine has it's data in PostgreSQL which is also incompatible
> with typo3.
> But to make things easy for use we are writing a small module to copy
> the needed
> data from PostgreSQL to Mysql. This works well for our situation.
>
> We are going to use it to sell things... Then everyday we take the data
> from the
> sale table of typo3 and sync it back to PostgreSQL. This on a daily base
> at 1AM in the morning.
>
> The advantage of doing it like this are
>
> 1) No Changes in typo3 or it's extensions.
> 2) We can keep our original data normalized per design.
>
> Disadvantage:
> 1) We have to make two sync modules.
>
> We basically handle business data in TYPO3 in such a way
> that we can always feed TYPO3 with new data. SO we
> always have our 'real' DB in PostgreSQL and not in the
> data structure of TYPO3.
>
> I am personally aiming to not changing typo3 or any of it's extensions.

Hi Ries, thanks for your reply :)

This last statement was pretty much my philosophy, too. Seems safer to stick
to grooming one's own sandbox than someone else's, right? :)

Anyways, the approach with syncing is not very attractive to us. Not even
thinking about the size of the db and whence the time required to sync, the
database in question is already being synced with external feeds and synced
with and internal ERP system. A third sync, well, it doesn't really sell
well ;)

> One side note:
> You can write TYPO3 compatible extensions that sit's in a external
> DB and let typo3 'manage' the data with BE modules.
> This is what we do under some situations.

How well does this work? And how much of the TYPO3 "goody bag" do you lose?
I mean, how well is the integration, especially with other extensions that
need to access the same data(base), but also with the API functions? Could
you give a small example? (I'm still not 100% TYPO3-ready as a developer,
yet, which definitely shows, I know ;)

Cheers,
Daniel

--