[TYPO3] Has anybody else integrated a second database with TYPO3?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 13:39:28 CET 2006

Rudy Gnodde wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> Getting data from other sources (database, XML service, or anywhere
> else) isn't a problem. Anything that can be done with PHP can be done in
> TYPO3. TYPO3 doesn't care if you make an extension with plugins and/or
> modules that get data from some other place.
>
> I have done it for several websites.
>
> Why? Because the data was stored in a different place/way and couldn't
> be converted for whatever reason. It usually involves data from third
> party software.
>
> How? Like I said, by using PHP (and sometimes command line tools)
>
> Experiences? It's basicly the same as making any PHP script. There's
> nothing special about it. You probably won't be able to use the TYPO3
> database functions, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Rudy, thanks for your input :)

How did you implement the data into the backend? By this I mean, how did you
provide management features to the administrator, and control over how and
where it was presented, modeled, related to other extensions and such?

Getting the data into scripts via regular PHP using mssql_odbc functions
etc. seems logical, it's the integration, or lack thereof, with the rest of
TYPO3 and its extensions that I'm worried about. The data in my case
wouldn't just be some isolated content like a news ticker or likewise, it
would be *the* primary content relating to everything else on the site.

Thanks again for your time,
Daniel :)