[TYPO3] Seeking advice on how to use two databases...

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 17:46:06 CET 2006

Peter Russ wrote:

> Daniel Smedegaard Buus schrieb:
>> Francois Suter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> With DBAL you can connect transparently to several databases, at the
>>> price of some performance cost (never tried it, but that's was
>>> Karsten says anyway).
>>>

>> I've heard that, too, I'm just not so sure that "several databases" means
>> several databases concurrently. As I understand it, it's more a question
>> of freedom of choice? But I'm not positive. Anyway, if anyone has
>> actually tried this, it'd be cool to get some experience reports :)
>

> Depends on the definition of DBs? TYPO3 DBs? Or TYPO3 and different on
> MySql or Oracle or MSSql or PostGres ...
>
> For pure TYPO3 DBAL might be your favorite solution.
> For a flexible mixture you might use t3lib_db functionality for TYPO3
> and make use of ext adodb.

Hi Peter :)

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable in this area, so I'm gonna try picking
your brain a little more ;)

Basically, the situation is this:

I'm doing an ecommerce site, that will sell items currently stored in a 15+
GB (MS SQL) database that is frequently updated externally (as in not
through TYPO3) by XML feeds from different sources.

Management of the items in this database is frequent, and should be done of
course through the store's backend in TYPO3.

My messing about with tutorials and related documentation showed me how easy
it is to take advantage of all the functionality provided by extensions,
the kickstarter, and the TYPO3 API functions, but it also seems to me that
in order to use this functionality (easily), you have to use the one
database that TYPO3 is installed in, and in which all extensions put their
tables.

I've never seen an extension create a new database, for instance. I don't
even know if that's possible.

To the best of my knowledge, placing all these items in a separate database
would sever all ties to TYPO3 and its lovely API and gift shop extensions,
except for what I'd then code by hand in PHP using native PHP functions...
Or what? I'd love to be told otherwise, and if you have any links to
examples or documentation on doing (or simply understanding - you might
notice, I'm not completely grasping this) this separation while keeping the
advantages given by TYPO3 (otherwise, why use it?), then please please post
them.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your efforts so far,
Daniel

--
http://www.rhesusb.dk