[TYPO3] Your experiences with DBAL & MSSQL?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:22:23 CET 2006

Hey :)

As we're considering migrating from MSSQL to MySQL after increasingly
significant problems with MSSQL, it'd be great to hear if any of you have
success and/or failure tales to share with us.

To start out, here's our story:

For several reasons, we wanted to stick with an MSSQL server, and therefore
did a brief test to find out if TYPO3 would run on this. We had to modify
tables.sql for the install tool to complete, which it did with a few
warnings, none too serious, and mostly PHP related (we have super verbose
output since we're in the development stage). Being able to use the
backend, we assumed everything was okay.

Later, after having studied TYPO3 using a LAMP setup, we were ready to start
actual development on the Win2KAS/IIS5/PHP5/MSSQL2000 server.

IIS & PHP were so-so to setup, as were TYPO3 with its friends GhostScript,
ImageMagick, etc.

Lots of problems with the MSSQL 2000 server eventually forced us to upgrade
to MSSQL 2005 in order to be able to install TYPO3 on the database.

Setting up the initial framework for development produced more and more
serious warnings and errors, now more coming from ODBC than from PHP (such
as values that were out of bound, etc.). As more extensions were installed
(indexedsearch, tt_news, newloginbox, templavoila, ...) the problems grew
more serious. Default values for extensions were wrong/not stored
correctly, and the show stopper was when the page tree wouldn't show pages
lower than the first level below the root "globe icon" level.

So this is where we are now, currently converting the MSSQL to MySQL just in
case.

What are your experiences in this matter? Please share.

Regards,
Daniel