[TYPO3] Seeking advice on how to use two databases...

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 10:38:50 CET 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Daniel Smedegaard Buus wrote:
>> I was wondering how well TYPO3 would handle two databases, one for the
>> TYPO3 generated content (news, forum data, pages, what-have-you), and one
>> for commercial items for sale. Are there any pitfalls with this approach?
>> Is it possible to use the extension kickstarter still? Basically, I
>> figure I just try it out, but in case it's a bad idea from the beginning,
>> I might as well save myself a day's work by asking you bright fellas
>> first ;)
>
> TYPO3 database API supports only one database. However if you have
> custom extension, nothing prevents you from using any other database.

Okay, but would it be possible still to use the API that TYPO3 provides, by
having two instances of the DBAL for instance? Or would I have to do
everything from scratch and lose all the easy good stuff like getting
editors in the backend by simply using the extension kickstarter, etc.?

Thanks for your input :)