[TYPO3] TYPO3 performance; Is it too slow for high-traffic sites?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Sun Nov 5 17:52:48 CET 2006

Guillermo Prandi wrote:

> - Each user will potentially own a weblog, a calendar and a photo album;
> many will not be using all of these features altogether.
>
> - Users will name friends, create and join groups, which in their turn
> could also have weblogs, photo albums and/or calendars.
>
> - Each user's sidebar view is supposed to reflect the latest activities
> of this user's friends and groups (latest posts, latest comments on
> their posts, current events on the calendar, etc.).
>
> This is the kind of project I am engaged in. As you see, each user sees
> a totally personalized page and the site desperately needs some caching
> for that. I really appreciate whatever you have to say about this matter.

Hi Guillermo,

I don't think that TYPO3 is the right tool for this job right now. Don't
get me wrong, you *could* build that portal with TYPO3 but unless you're
bound to use it, I'd look elsewhere for better suited solutions.

It's not a matter of you being a newbie but simply decisions based on
what TYPO3 could provide/require from you. From the description above, I
don't see how you'd use any of the major features TYPO3 provides: no
pagetree, no backend users, no fancy graphics manipulation, no advanced
templating, no DAM, none of that. Instead, you require heavy FE user
interaction, collaboration/social features and lots of custom solutions.
This means that you'd basically only use TYPO3 as a framework for
plugins that provide the actual site content. And TYPO3 is really
heavyweight as a framework, and lacks the object/fragment caching
mechanisms that you seem to need for a community site.

So I'd rather look for existing portal frameworks (Plone?, Drupal?) or
write the damn thing from scratch with a lighter web framework.

Greetings,
Michael