[TYPO3] TYPO3 performance; Is it too slow for high-traffic sites?

Guillermo Prandi lists.netfielders.de at mailfilter.com.ar
Sat Nov 4 19:10:49 CET 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:
> Guillermo Prandi wrote:
>
>> By mostly read I meant 1 of every 10 accesses will modify the database
>> and invalidate some (or many) cached pages. Unfortunately, the number of
>> users will be in the thousands (1,000? 10,000? I don't know!) and each
>> user will get a particular view of the site (personalized content),
>> although part of it could be cacheable (e.g., sidebar contents).
>
> TYPO3 does not have very effective caching mechanisms outside complete
> page caching, so if you have personalized views (like the username on
> every page), then those will be slow. And if this makes up most of the
> site, then TYPO3 is probably not the right tool for the job unless you
> seriously improve the caching mechanisms yourself, which seems
> impossible for you as a newbie.
>
> Greetings,
> Michael

Oh! That sounds quite discouraging! Thank you so much for your remarks,
Michael; this is exactly the kind of thing that concerns me. However, I
must say I am a TYPO3 newbie, but not a newbie programmer. I count 20
years of low level programming (lots of C, lots of Assembler) and 5
years PHP experience, including caching functions for other CMSs like
WordPress. I am not trying to brag (please don't take me wrong!!), but
only put your words in perspective. Do you think that me, as a TYPO3
newbie, would still be in much trouble enhancing TYPO3 caching? I know
there are plugins that support caching, so my sidebar information could
be implemented as a plugin, may be, or perhaps I could cache the data
myself, outside TYPO3. To me it is important to avoid doing any hacks on
TYPO3, and use normal (API) extension mechanisms instead. Do you think
that's too ambitious? Let me give you an example of the kind of site I
am trying to build:

- Each user will potentially own a weblog, a calendar and a photo album;
many will not be using all of these features altogether.

- Users will name friends, create and join groups, which in their turn
could also have weblogs, photo albums and/or calendars.

- Each user's sidebar view is supposed to reflect the latest activities
of this user's friends and groups (latest posts, latest comments on
their posts, current events on the calendar, etc.).

This is the kind of project I am engaged in. As you see, each user sees
a totally personalized page and the site desperately needs some caching
for that. I really appreciate whatever you have to say about this matter.

Guille