[TYPO3] FE-cookies located under Windows-userprofile

Bert Hiddink hiddink at bendoo.com
Sat Nov 4 12:03:11 CET 2006

Hello,

I am facing the following challenge:

A group of FE-users logs in from their intranet to a set of protect
pages on a externally hosted TYPO3-site.

My client requested to extend the life-time of the FE-cookie to one week
so that they do not have to re-enter their credentials every time they
want to consult these pages (after having closed the browser). There is
an extension of Stefan Geith which does this job, so I installed and
configured this. As as result, FE-users now can open their browser and
see the protected pages the following day, without having to re-login.
So far, so good.

However, in this particular case, the cookies are not stored on each
workstation but under a Windows-user-profile-location which is stored on
a local network server. So one may expect that when an employee switches
from one workstation to another within the local network, the stored
cookie under his/her profile will be recognized by TYPO3 from that other
workstation and hence, he/she does not have to re-enter the credentials.

But this is not the case. TYPO3 creates a new cookie (fe_typo_user) for
every workstation an employee is logging from. Hence, this scheme is not
  a very elegant solutions in this particular situation.

* Could someone explain me why TYPO3 creates a separate cookie for every
workstation and does not recognize the earlier stored cookie under the
Windows-profile for this FE-user?

* How to come a solution here? Should one "hack" the way TYPO3 writes
the FE-session info into the cookie or are there alternative ways?

Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks in advance as usual!

grt,
-brt