[TYPO3] TYPO3 performance; Is it too slow for high-traffic sites?

Guillermo Prandi lists.netfielders.de at mailfilter.com.ar
Fri Nov 3 23:12:15 CET 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Very good experience, though I do not think you need oracle there.
>
> It is always a question of optimization. If you know how to do it, of
> course ;)

Thank you, guys for your answers. I'm sorry about being vague about the
actual server load, but for the moment any figures are mere speculation.
I only know that the site must scale well in the end.

Peak load will not fall below 15 pages/second, I imagine.

By mostly read I meant 1 of every 10 accesses will modify the database
and invalidate some (or many) cached pages. Unfortunately, the number of
users will be in the thousands (1,000? 10,000? I don't know!) and each
user will get a particular view of the site (personalized content),
although part of it could be cacheable (e.g., sidebar contents). I will
be bothering you guys about caching strategies when I had learned some
TYPO3 basics at least. :)

The fact that the project will use Oracle is not for performance, but
because it will be integrated with an existing site and database. I was
just mentioning it for completeness.

The clumsy tests I made with my old PC (Athlon XP 1600, 1GB RAM) with
Apache, PHP 4.4, MySQL 4 (InnoDB tables) and TYPO3 3.8 (QuickStart
example) were frustratingly slow for single-page requests, so I started
to worry. I'm doing some more tests and some of the slowness seem to
have disappeared (at least from the FE, although BE pages still take >1
sec. to render). I am aware that my PC is slow and single-processor (CPU
time taken by the user agent is stolen from the web server's), but it
still seemed pretty slow to me. I look forward to further experimenting
with TYPO3 to get more useful results.

Take care,

Guille