[TYPO3] TYPO3 performance; Is it too slow for high-traffic sites?

Steffen Müller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 3 02:39:53 CET 2006

Hi.

On 03.11.2006 02:07 Guillermo Prandi wrote:
> Hi. I wish to hear your thoughts about how well does TYPO3 perform on
> high-traffic sites. For instance, I wish to implement a complex site
> including multilanguage weblogs and other dynamic data, and I expect
> thousands of hits per hour (mostly reads). What is your experience on
> this kind of load? The database will be a well-tuned Oracle 9.2 server.

It depends on what kind of extensions (weblog) you use. Any frontend
extension, which does not support caching, will be a performance killer.
(including 100% personalized pages with logged in FE-users)

I have never used TYPO3 as a weblog, so I cannot provide specific
information about that.

"thousands of hits per hour" does not mean much traffic (3600 hits/h =
average of 1 hit/s) - except if 90% of thoses thousands comes within one
minute. But even if you get slashdotted, there might be a solution to
stay online, e.g. by using reverse-proxy, enabling you to serve >1000
pages/second (!)

So my answer is yes.

There's a chapter about performance in the wiki
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Performance_tuning

Please regret the self-advertising hint to
http://typo3.org/development/articles/testing-and-tuning-typo3-performance/

Last but not least, Michael had a great performance on performance:
http://castor.t3o.punkt.de/files/podkast_7minutes-performance.m4v

--
cheers,
Steffen