[TYPO3] How will versioning react if you edit the database manually?

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 15:09:32 CET 2006

R. van Twisk wrote:

> Possible you want to create a typo3 service to get the
> XML feed and store them in the DB.
>
> I believe there are API's for doing such a thing that
> will handle the versioning/storing part. I have did it
> once by my own code and that seems the work,
> not really hard todo.
>
> You could make it work that you can see that a field was
> changed by your service-user. The service-user is teh BE
> user that runs the import-from-XML based on a cron.
> Much like how DAM indexer works and Indexed_search
> indexer.
>
> I wouldn't want to use perl unless you have a good reason of course..
>
> Ries

Hi Ries, thanks for your reply! :)

We've discussed this at a meeting today, and the end result is that we're
not going with versioning on the items, only on the "regular" content. The
overhead in doing so would simply be too immense (a lot of changes happen
very often), and my boss has previously worked with IBM in some nightmarish
project to manage versioning data which has marked him bad :) The need for
versioning on the items turns out to be not so big anyway, as it's mostly
based on bad experiences with the previous system design, which will be
fixed anyway during this project.

Thanks for the help though :)

Daniel